Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Friday, September 04, 2009

a mommy's heart

there is something special about the camaraderie felt among mothers of children with special needs. whether i'm reading another mom's blog, talking with a mom, or sitting in support group i just feel an incredible sense of like-mindedness and empathy when listening to them talk/write, etc.
A friend pointed me to this blog when we first got J's diagnosis. Her words from today's post could have been my very own, in fact, i'm sure I've said this in my head before during one of the "hard days".

A quote, from one of my new favorite places on the web:
(this is a story she shared about her son who struggles with SPD/Sensory Processing Disorder)

One night at the beach, Noah was having a hard time. I've already forgotten the details, the trigger. No matter how many times it happens, I can't seem to stop myself from asking "what's wrong? what's wrong, baby, what's WRONG?" Of course, he doesn't answer. He can't answer. We have a good dozen books on the subject and even they seem to mostly be guessing at the answer, at what it's like for a kid like him. Something was just WRONG, something he couldn't explain to us, something we couldn't fix.

And I stopped asking what was wrong. Instead, I made a promise. I told him it will get better and that it won't always be like this. The world will not always be so scary and strange. It won't always be like this.

I am keeping that promise. I am keeping. That. Promise.


And as we fight for services, appeal decisions made by state authorities, go through Evaluation after Evaluation, attend therapies, every step of the way....I believe her statement today is WHY WE DO what we do.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home