Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, May 03, 2010

When Clueless People Attack

This post is by one of my favorite Mommy Bloggers.  Her stories concerning her son, Noah, who has SPD (an austism-like disorder) are usually stories that I couldve told myself, she just writes way better ;)
This recent post describes an incident in a mall.....

Every week there are countless instances where someone approaches Jordan and asks him a simple question.  His name, age, etc.  He doesnt answer.  He's not rude....he just doesnt know how to answer.  Same thing goes with kids at the park.  They want him to play; he doesnt know how.  I find myself in a place almost daily of having to figure out how to tell complete strangers that my child is "different".  Sometimes, like this fellow mommy, I choose to ignore or divert just because it's easier.  Sometimes I wish there was a sign we could carry around that would make it way easier to explain behaviors.

Because of Jordan I'm keenly aware now of others who may have similar problems, or completely different problems that manifest themselves in a similar way.  Like this blogger, I'm far less apt to judge these days....
Jordan continues to make me a better person, a more patient person, much more aware of others.
This is part of the talk I gave a month or so ago at a Womens Conference:

There are special blessings that come from raising a child with special needs. The veil has been lifted from my eyes, and I now see beauty where I used to see emptiness. There is compassion in me where there was once selfishness. There is laughter and fun where there used to be a constant mental rundown of tasks yet to be completed. There is even personal acceptance instead of feelings of inadequacy. I would not trade these gifts for the world. Will Jordan be “healed”. I don’t know the answer, but I do know this. I have been Healed. Healed from selfishness and blindness to the suffering of others. I am no longer the same; and every change has been for the better.

Thanks, Jordan....you're helping me daily to see that it isn't about me.  You're also helping me to be compassionate towards others.  Sometimes there are hidden blessings that come with Autism....and for that, we are thankful.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Aunt Lynn said...

Tara, that was beautiful. I admire you. God has a plan.

5/03/2010 5:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I AGREE WITH LYNN. BUT YOU ALREADY HAD ALL THOSE TRAITS BEFORE J. THAT'S WHY GOD CHOSE YOU TO BE THAT SPECIAL CHILD'S MOM. HE IS SO LUCKY AND SO ARE YOU. LOVE YOU ALL. JOY

5/03/2010 6:02 PM  
Blogger Angela R. said...

What a beautiful post! My prayer is that people would be healed too from their blindness as you share God's work in your family. Blessings, Tara.

5/03/2010 9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home