Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

crafty....

I've gotten a little "craft bug" as of late and have been trying a few projects.



This is the first one I've done for the baby and I was quite pleased with the results. I'll even post the "how to" here in case any readers are interested in doing them for their own children or for shower gifts.



Online, "Nursery Wall Letters" can run you anywhere from $6-10 PER LETTER.



I made Jaxon's name for around $16 and an additonal name for a friends shower for around $12.



Walmart is the most affordable place to purchase the letters, but often times they are "out" of the ones you may need. (Imagine that!)



I bought all my supplies from Hobby Lobby. You could probably find them at Michael's, Joannes, etc.



Here's how "JAXON" turned out!





Here's how you do it:



Materials:

Unfinished Wooden Letters to spell out name or Initials
"Pattern Paper": This is scrapbooking paper on the scrapbooking aisle. The Larger sheets did 2 letters. Just pick out patterns that compliment each other and the theme of the room or do them all the same.
White Spray Paint
Mod Podge (I used Matte finish)
Craft knife/Exacto knife (found in scrapbooking area)
Ribbon to match letters
Foam craft brushes or paint brushes for applying Mod Podge
Hot glue gun
Newspaper


How-to:

-Cover work area with newspaper.
-Place paper over letter and cut out with Exacto knife (this is the most tedious part)
-Spray paint letters and allow ample time to dry (front and back). Be sure they're fully dry and not sticky.
-Apply a fairly thick coat of the Mod Podge (with foam brush) to the letter then carefully glue down paper on top. Smooth out and make sure no bubbles!
-Apply a thin coat to the top of the paper on the letter.
-Let dry completely (overnight) then hot glue ribbon to letters for hanging.

EDITED TO ADD:

Great Catch, Jenny (see comments)- I did use this week's 25% coupon from Hobby Lobby to buy my materials. Just go to http://www.hobbylobby.com and print that weeks coupon before going. Makes it an even better deal!

Labels:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Tara! You did a great job. Those look great! Thanks for sharing the how to! I would love to do that project sometime and will check back on the "how to"s!

4/22/2008 10:31 AM  
Blogger Jenny said...

Those look awesome! And FYI to all you blog readers--Hobby Lobby always has a coupon that ranges from 25-40% off one item on their website under "weekly specials." And, there's no limit on how many to print out, so I will use multiple ones in a week sometimes (but not at the same visit).

4/22/2008 1:13 PM  
Blogger Mallory said...

Tara, I am so impressed! great work!!!

4/24/2008 8:09 AM  
Blogger mcgintys said...

That looks awesome Tara! I have done them painted before,...but I am not an artist. The paper is a great idea and I love the different patterns in the same color. I can't wait to do those when we have a little one. Thanks for posting that!

4/26/2008 11:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home