Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, July 06, 2009

jordan: explained.

been wondering how to word this post for awhile now. guess it's easiest just to say it. we believe that Jordan has some form of autism. wow. it's almost freeing to even type it out. for about a year now, somewhere deep inside I knew that J was different. I always wrote it off as him being "quirky" or in Jordan's World. Maybe 3-4 months ago I shared this with Asah. After watching him closely we could not avoid/deny it any longer. I began to read and research everything I could. It wasnt pretty. J seemed to have all the classic signs and symptoms, right down to walking on his toes. (Had no idea that was even a red flag). This morning we went to our regular pediatrician for a consultation and to share our concerns. I've been journaling his behaviors for about a month now to get a clear picture. I also printed off a developmental checklist for 36 months and found that he has only met about 1/2 of the milestones. Talk about a springboard for action. Dr. Tran was awesome. Very affirming. She gave us some tools for early intervention as well as a Referral to Pediatric Neurologists in Baton Rouge. It will take some time to get an appointment there (think: Months) but meanwhile we can begin taking steps to get him lined up for Therapies, etc even before an official eval/diagnosis.

Pray with us. Jordan is still Jordan. Happy, free, loving, caring, Athletic, warm hearted. We want to get the best help we can, so that he can improve in his speech, social skills, and other areas where he needs extra help. We believe that he is on the high functioning end. In fact, if you didnt know him you wouldnt think a thing was wrong. There are days he is fine. There are very difficult days. Mostly when we're out of routine.

any questions, ask away. now that we're walking this journey, we'd love to be a resource to inform others, especially of the early signs.

Edited to Add:
Just wanted to share an excerpt from a blog i'm now addicted to, thanks to Allison!!
It is the blog of a mom with a son Just Like Jordan. Here's part of a letter she wrote to him. My thoughts exactly. Sharing this has already been a good thing. So many people out there know of many many other resources for us. This is only the beginning!!

I'm sorry the little things are so hard for you. I'm sorry that I just don't understand sometimes.

I'm so proud of you. I'm so proud of you and your smart, wonderful, mysterious brain. I'm so proud of your good strong eyes that never miss a thing. I'm so proud of how far you've come and how well you talk now. I'm so proud of what a happy, confident boy you are, in spite of everything else.

I love you. I love hearing everything you have to say. I love your voice, your smile, the way I hear you humming along to the music in your room. I love how you manage to thoroughly charm people, even when you're making their job a little harder. I love how you always give me another chance to be a better Mommy, a more patient, fun and understanding Mommy, and how a rotten morning can still lead to a wonderfully sunny afternoon.

You're too amazing for this world, Noah. And that's our problem, not yours. Don't ever forget that.

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Brian said...

Not sure if you remember or not... Autism is among the two areas Rebecca specializes in the strongest. I know you've done lots of research already (as I did with Noah and his CP), but if you want her Occupational Therapist views / advise / answers, I know she'd love to help y'all in any way. And, of course, we'll be praying for y'all.

7/06/2009 2:05 PM  
Blogger The Hudgins said...

Brian, i'd love to read/hear anything rebecca would have to share. she can facebook me and i'll give her my email and/or #.
thanks so much!

7/06/2009 2:12 PM  
Blogger The Rollins Family said...

We love you, and are praying for you all.

7/06/2009 3:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh Tara, Being a mama is so hard. Nobody tells you how heavy it can be to wear the weight of your children on your heart. I promise to pray alongside your family for your precious Jordan and the strives you take to meet his every need. Keep us updated on his progress, I know there will be lots. (and the teacher side of me can't help but cheer that you are starting therapy and treatment so early - you will be so thankful)Lots of love and hugs, Katie

7/06/2009 3:43 PM  
Blogger gertsbride said...

Tara,

I admit first off to blog-lurking. I read your blog from time to time through Katie Cottle's, and it has been a joy to watch your family grow!

If "my" plan for my life had worked out, I would've gone to school to become a music therapist that specialized in autistic children, but God's ways are higher than mine. However, I am still fascinated by the minds of these beautifully mastered children and what they have to teach us. Though I have nothing "professional" or "guided" to offer, I do have prayers to my Jesus, and I will lift them up. I firmly believe that though "professionals" are best in most cases, those of us "plain folk" can offer some pretty good things every now and then, too, so if I can ever do anything for you or offer you anything, please let me know.

Prayers for you,
Mary Beth Pelt
LaGrange, GA

7/06/2009 4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tara, Your whole family will be in our prayers. Jordan is still facinating with his happy and busy nature. We love you.

Aunt Lynn and Uncle Carroll

7/06/2009 6:28 PM  
Blogger Kelly said...

Oh Tara! I'll be praying for Jordan and your whole family that he gets good and successful treatment and strength for you and Asah. Love you guys!

7/06/2009 7:14 PM  
Blogger Joni said...

Hey Tara,
Oh wow - thanks for sharing this and we will definitely be praying for y'all. I am glad you are getting some help and answers already!

7/06/2009 10:03 PM  
Blogger pamb said...

Pete has a friend in his class that has autism. Brightest and sweetest child you'll know. And you're right, never would have guessed it with Jordan. You know your church family is always here for you - love all of you.

7/07/2009 6:17 PM  
Blogger --Shelley said...

tara, you are so brave to post that. i am sure you needed to, probably felt like you were carrying a huge weight. now we can all share the load of your news. idea: i don't know if it is too late but you could see if the Southeastern Speech and Language Clinic still needs clients for the fall. It is way cheaper than "professionals" while you are waiting. I just got the email address for you. I will facebook it to you. what a sweet boy to be given to a sweet family. and i would totally agree with HIGH FUNCTIONING! thank you for letting us all in on your world. hope to see you this weekend. love yall lots.

7/07/2009 10:53 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Tara, I'll be praying for you guys. I worked with children with Autism in an early intervention center in Birmingham and then pool therapy last summer and these children are amazing to work with. If you can find pediatric PT who does pool therapy that would be something good for him; along with a program that has children with autism placed in classes with typically developing classmates that helps them out a lot when they get into school. Let me know if you have any questions from a physical therapy standpoint. Will pray for good results/answers from your appt.

7/08/2009 9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home