Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Monday, December 14, 2009

life update.

It's been awhile since I've updated on "life".
There is much to tell.
The biggest meeting to date in regards to Jordan's Education is coming up on Thursday. I've been studying for it as I would a final exam. I have reviewed all the Evaluations with a fine tooth comb. I hope and pray we're ready for this IEP. For those who have never walked through the Special Education System, I'll explain. I had definitely never heard of any of this until we were met with J's diagnosis back in July.
An IEP is an "Individualized Education Plan" and is created for students who receive Special Education Services.
After an Evaluation, the team gathers to create an Education Plan for the student. Things like what services will be offered, how often, School Placement, etc are decided.
I already know that J will be recommended for Speech,OT, and Special Instruction. The things that are up for grabs are where? how often?, etc.
We've been told all along that because Jordan is 3 he will not be allowed in a classroom setting. That all of his services would be provided in our home. Great! Some people respond....but nope, that's not what I want. A classroom setting is ideal and what he needs to encourage social skills and add structure. I have "heard" that there are 3 year olds in our parish in the classroom. Sometimes I think I've been told otherwise because it isnt the "easy" option. Adaptations must be made. School days/schedules altered. But that's what we are going for. I've been meeting with an Advocate who is a gift from God who assures me we'll get J in a classroom. Hopefully for January. This would be huge.
He will be 4 soon. I've been trying since July to get him services. I feel like precious time has been wasted, and I feel like I couldve done more.
Seeing the evaluations on paper were like opening a wound. That was beginning to heal. Reading about your child statistically in light of "neurotypical" children is enough to make your head spin. It's enough to make you hurt and angry all over again. But God is so good...and I was reminded this week from James that He "gives us MORE grace". Not just the grace that I think I need...but a greater grace. Which is what I really need. To make it through this IEP. To intelligently discuss my childs Educational Future with Professionals, because while they are good at what they do, no one knows what Jordan better than mommy and daddy. And no one could be a better Advocate for him......
Please pray with us for Thursday. I'll gladly update.
I'm bringing Brownies, and a picture of our sweet son. I figure they should know who they are talking about rather than seeing some #'s on a paper :)

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Trent and Jaci said...

Tara- We will be praying that Jordan get the services he needs!!! No matter what obstacles are ahead of him...he is a remarkable little boy who is very smart! Love you guys and can't wait to see ya'll at Christmas!

12/14/2009 8:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TARA, YOU ARE THE PERFECT PARENTS FOR JORDAN AND I KNOW YOU'LL DO EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER TO GET HIM THE SERVICES HE NEEDS. WE'LL KEEP YOU IN OUR PRAYERS. WE LOVE YOU GUYS. JOY AND DAD

12/15/2009 10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home