Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 23, 2005

in a color?

On Wednesdays I teach money management to a group of teen girls at the Friendship House. This will go on through the summer and I am really enjoying my time there. The program is called "Project Hope" and the goal is to keep these young girls off the streets during the summer and teach life skills as well as have fun (they do field trips, etc).
Anyway, yesterday I was truly entertained. I was teaching on checking accounts. We learned how to record deposits and checks, reconcile the account, etc. Fun stuff (for me, at least). At the end I had time for questions. One of the last questions I got threw me off a bit. A girl asked, "What does it mean to be in a color?" I was like, can you repeat that? So she repeated a couple more times. Finally a light went on in my head. OH, you mean in the red or in the black? "Yes!" she answers. Hmmmmm. You definitely want to be in the black, I say. That's why it's so important to keep a check register. I guess she'd heard a family member say that before. Funny stuff.
I'm enjoying my time there. It's good to get out of the office and help out with those girls. Hopefully they'll learn a few things that can help them down the road.
Have a good day.
T

1 Comments:

Blogger Hollie Carson said...

fun stuff tara! i love reading everyone's blog. you'll have to teach me how to create links to everyone else's blog-o-rama. keep 'em coming! Oh, and one more thing....what is your mailing address? i'm going to try to create a microsoft computer filing system of addresses(did that make any sense at all?) and i need ya'lls address.
lata tata-
holls

6/23/2005 9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home